Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Should auld aquaintance be forgot...


Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne!

Happy New Year to Everyone!  You may be wondering how this picture has any relation to the new year.  The young man pictured is Caiden, the son of one of my high school classmates.  I was privileged enough to be able to have a photo shoot with Caiden and his younger brother, Sawyer, a few months ago.  It was the first time that I had seen their mother, Alisha, since we graduated from high school.  I always enjoy seeing my old classmates, even the ones that weren't in my closest circle of friends.  We're adults now, you know, well, most of us are.  It's almost funny to look back now and think about the labels and drama associated with high school.  What's even funnier is how little you really know about most of your classmates.  I'm not talking about the obvious stuff like hair color and height, but about the "real" them.  It's probably because most of us are still trying to figure ourselves out in high school - what's important to us, what we want to do with our life, where we stand on the "big issues."  I'm not really sure what view my classmates had of me, but I'm pretty sure it's not an entirely accurate one.  There are things about me that have changed since high school, and there are things about me that are exactly the same.  Although I was much closer to some of my classmates than others, I consider them all friends because we share that common experience of attending the same school with the same teachers.  We went to the same dances and football games, and we all walked the same stage on graduation day.  I wonder about what the other 63 members of my class are doing now, and how they are fairing in life - not of some misguided ulterior motive - but of a genuine curiosity and concern.  These are the "auld aquaintances" of my life, in addition to some others, and I'm not likely to forget them.

No comments:

Post a Comment