Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Road of Life


Every year as December nears its end I start thinking about what this year has brought me.  Then, I suppose as a natural progression of thought, I begin to think about what each year of my life has brought me, and, therefore, my life in general.  I can honestly and very thankfully say, that I have lived, and am living, a very blessed life.  I have a family that is loving, supportive, and just slightly nutty.  I've been through a few rough times, but times just don't seem as rough when you have someone by your side.  The older I get, the more I treasure the people that have been there and will be there until God, Himself, chooses to take them away.  It's never bothered me to get older.  In my mind, I'm still 14.  I haven't felt any differently on a birthday since I turned 14.  And then, I think it was only because there was a boy that was actively pursuing me (fast forward 12 years and he still is), making me feel more "adult."  Ha.  Adult.  What exactly does that mean, and why was I in such a hurry to get there.  Now, I've been married for six years, have a two-year old daughter, bills, responsibilites, and a few....okay, more than a few, extra pounds.  What blows my mind is how quickly I got here.  I mean, I honestly don't remember portions of the last 12 years.  As my sister and I have discussed, we know we were there because there are pictures as proof that we were present, but, for the life of us, we can't remember being there.  Now I know what all the "old folk" meant when they said that the years move by faster the older you get.  I guess time really does fly when you're having fun.  I can definitely say that, other than a few not-so-fun moments in the past several years, it has been a lot of fun.  I'm looking forward to the future, to the new year and beyond.  And since I don't feel any older than 14, I think it's perfectly acceptable that I still act 14 every now and then, especially with that boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment