Tuesday, December 28, 2010

a blog about photog


As a work-from-home mom, I started this blog to help grow my photography business.  Photography has always been something I enjoyed, from the time my parents bought me my first Polaroid camera.  I would go outside and take random pictures of flowers, leaves, insects...whatever I could find, and couldn't wait for the few minutes it took for the picture to develop to see what I had captured.  I remember the first digital camera that I had (my husband bought it for our 1-year anniversary) was a Fugifilm Finepix.  It had a macro setting on it, so I went outside our home and got up-close and personal with our azaleas while the morning dew was still clinging to their petals.  Digital was wonderful for me, because, honestly, I'm not that patient of a person, and being able to see what I captured the moment I captured it without having to wait for development was a very, very good thing.  I'm getting better, I suppose - having a child makes patience more of a necessity.  Then a year or so ago, my father passed down his old school Konica Minolta 35 mm SLR camera.  I was in love.  The freedom and ability to adjust the aperture and shutter speed to create the effect that I wanted on top of being able to focus on my subject manually was wonderful.  It took me a few rolls of film to get the hang of my new "old" camera, but it was worth it.  The only downfall was that I had to wait, sometimes for more than an hour (ugh) to see the images I managed to snag.  (I told you patience wasn't my strong suit.)  It was like the days before Christmas every time I took a roll to be developed.  I had finally grown accustomed to waiting for shots when my family did the unthinkable. 

I had been saving for a Digital SLR camera for a while, but, anyone that has children and a life, in general, knows that things come up.  Medical bills and unexpected expenses take precedence over cameras.  So, imagine my surprise on my 26th birthday when I opened my present to find a Canon EOS Rebel with lens and gadgets galore from my family...all of them!  I may have shed a tear or two - it's all a little fuzzy now.  I was just so thankful that they came together to do that for me.  It meant, and still means, more than words can ever express.  You see, it's more than just a camera.  It's an escape, a vacation from the pressures of life when I look through the lens.  There's just something about taking pictures that I find relaxing.  Maybe it's because it allows me to "focus" on one thing and zone out all the other white noise around me.  I don't know.  All I know is I love it.

I get excited every time someone calls or emails to set up a shoot.  I'm keeping my prices low right now because I want the practice and, frankly, because I enjoy taking pictures for people.  I think it's important to capture life's moments in a tangible form for posterity.  There are few things I like more than flipping through my Gram's old photo albums and seeing life through their eyes for a moment.  Now, if I could just get on top of actually putting pictures into albums...

No comments:

Post a Comment