Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gentle Giant - I Heart Faces: Week 50



When I saw that this week's contest on I Heart Faces was for Pets, I was so excited!  I looked through the photos I've taken over the years of our puppies (our normal pet of choice...besides that one creepy tarantula) and had narrowed it down to two choices.  Then I came across this picture.  I double-checked to make sure I could use it since, obviously, I don't have a giraffe as a pet in rural Mississippi.  This picture was taken at Global Wildlife Refuge in Folsom, Louisiana in 2009.  Giraffes are quite possibly my favorite land mammal outside of puppies.  They are such beautiful and graceful animals, and it was an amazing experience to have this gentle giant eat food right out of my hand!!  My daughter, who was one at the time, was actually able to pet this magnificent creature...something I much preferred to her almost getting eaten by an over-zealous camel earlier in the trek.  
 

 
Head on over to I Heart Faces today to enter your own Pet Pic!

5 comments:

  1. Giraffes are, indeed, beautiful animals. You were so lucky to get this lovely close-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so lovely aren't they! Cool shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome shot! I love giraffes, such majestic animals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love giraffes. I love this shot too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo...I love how this photo made me look closer at a giraffe, which made it almost seem like it was the first time seeing it (if that makes ANY sense at all ;D). Well done, in any case!

    ReplyDelete